Week Four Blog: Technology and Student Engagement


Week Four Blog: Technology and Engagement

            This week’s article discussed how bringing technology into the classroom increased student engagement.  Technology allows for learning to go beyond the four walls of a classroom and more collaboration among students and teachers. More specifically, they mentioned G Suite for Education and code.org, where students are taking “…what they find and show teachers what they know.” Furthermore, coding was touched upon because of the growing necessity for it to be taught in school since those are the skills students are going to need when they enter the job force.  The article stated: “A lot of research will tell you if you’re not teaching coding to young children, it’s like teaching them not to read.” That statement caught my attention for two reasons- 1. How much is coding being taught in schools; and 2. I have NO idea how to code…does that make me unskilled or unskilled in the future? With that aside, simply integrating technology into the classroom can offer several benefits to ESL students and every child because of all the assistance and opportunities technology provides.  Those opportunities include multiple dimensions of learning and assessing, student interests, hands on learning, and learning being conducted anytime and anywhere.
            The article focused on a school district that plans to base schooling around the workshop method, which includes an opening, mini-lesson, work period, and debriefing period. Their focus is around the concept of digital learning and student engagement. While I feel that technology and student discovery in learning are important realms in education, I think it sounds better on paper then in action.  I create lessons where my seniors have to find what they learn and develop something, however I do not know how much they are truly obtaining.  They simply click on the first website under Google and copy and paste the paragraph…no matter how many times I go over how to research properly. In addition, students email or share their work with classmates, who then submit that work…which can be traced back and brought up, but again not much learning is occurring that way.
            Finally, the article talks about generation gaps between teachers and students and how some teachers are not as tech savvy in general or as tech savvy as the students.  This can create barriers within the classroom since teachers who were teaching prior to the technology revolution will struggle teaching with technology.  Therefore, schools need to offer professional developments to ensure all teachers feel confident in teaching with technological tools. Personally, at times I feel less tech savvy than my students and at first I almost felt embarrassed, however the students enjoy helping and it allows them to use their tech skills in real life.




Comments

  1. You always hear "tech increases student engagement". There has been a ton of research to prove this point. I always agreed with the statement and believed it to be true, however I didn't recognize just how much power tech has when trying to engage students until this past year. I would find that when I told my students we wouldn't be using iPads/computers for a specific activity they were disappointed and demanded to know why. Kids have come to expect the use of technology because that is what they are accustomed to outside of the classroom. As you mentioned there will always be some struggles for teachers who aren't digital natives, but hopefully districts recognize the need for professional development and IT assistance for teachers. This year I really pushed coding with my students. My first personal experience was with code.org. I was so proud of myself when I wrote code for a Star Wars game for the first time. I can only imagine how it makes students feel. Code.org is a great resources for teachers and students. I enroll my third graders in the coding course, which they complete at their own pace. Also, I have kids practice coding our various classroom robots, Bloxels, and participate in unplugged coding activities. Coding is one of the most popular stations in my room. I loved the quote the article mentioned equating learning to code is as important as learning to read. However, it is terrifying at the same time, as it isn't being taught enough in our schools today. I enjoyed reading your post, as it provides a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought the same thing you mentioned about reading and coding. Coding has been a talked about skill for the past few years and still I have no clue. I have done some those learn to code online trainings just out of curiosity and I like puzzles and challenges, but even after that complete one hour of code, I still feel like I know nothing. I do wondering if that needs to be taught to students (what class and what age group). How could it be worked into my class? Found your article and blog very interesting. Shared many similar thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Blog: Music and ESL Classroom

Week 5 Blog: How technology can boost equity in education